Arnica Montana as per Materia Medica
|Plant/Herbal||Arnica montana grows on the mountains and may be said to possess a native affinity to the effects fall's as its German name, Fallkraut, attests.Its value as a vulnerary properties has been known from remote times. It may be said to be the traumatic remedy par excellence|
|Pharmacy||Nomenclature: Arnica Montana. Leopard's bane. Brusiewort. Fallkraut. Fall herb. Tincture of whole fresh plant. Tincture of root. Historical dose: All potencies|
|Clinical||Abscess. Aching, pains. Back, pains. Baldness. Bedsores. Black eye. Blows boils. brain disorders . Breath, fetid. bronchitis. Bruises. Carbuncle. Chest, disorders. Chorea. Concussions. Contusions. Corns. Cramp. Diabetes. Diarrhea. Dysentery. Ec-chymosis. Exhaustion. Eyes. disorders. Falls. Fatigue. Gout. Head injury. Hematemesis, Hematoma. Hematuria. Headaches. Heart, disorders. Impotence. Influenza. Injuries. Labor, pains. Lumbago. Mastitis. Meningitis. Merit Miscarriage. Over-lifting. Over-working. Paralysis. Pleurodynia. Pur-pura. Pyemia. Rheumatism. Shock. Spleen, pain. Sore, pains. Sprains. Stings. Strains. Strokes. Suppuration. Swellings. Taste, dis-orders. Thirst. Trauma. Traumatic, fever. Tumors. Typhoid. voice disorders. Whooping cough. wounds. yawning|
|Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia references||Trauma and its effects, recent or remote is met by Arnica as by no other single drug and the provings bring out the appropriateness of the remedy in the symptoms it causes. Tumors in many parts, following injury, have been cured by Arnica including scirrhus tumors of the breast. Nervous disorders as chorea after falls. Trauma in all its forms, and the recent or remote effects injuries are covered by this remedy. It produces conditions upon the system quite similar to those resulting from injuries, falls, blows, contusions. Compound fractures. Mental or physical shocks. After traumatic injuries, overuse of any organ, strains. Tinnitus aurium. It affects blood, causing putrid and septic conditions. Putrid phenomena. Septic conditions, prophylactic of pus infection. Strokes with a red, full face. It is especially suited to cases when any injury, however remote, seems to have caused the present trouble. Trauma of grief, remorse or sudden realization of financial loss. Arnica is disposed to cerebral congestion. Marked effect on the blood. Acts best in plethoric, feebly in debilitated with impoverished blood, cardiac dropsy with dyspnea. A muscular tonic. Thrombosis. Hematocele. Influenza with sore bruised muscles. Limbs and body ache as if beaten, joints as if sprained. Bed feels too hard or full of lumps. Great prostration, with a tired feeling. Discharges are foul, breath, taste, flatus, stools etc. Tendency to tissue degeneration, low septic conditions. Abscesses that do not mature. Typhoid, septic fevers. Recurring boils. Thrombosis. Sore, lame, bruised feeling. Rheumatism of muscles and tendons, especially of back and shoulders. Aversion to tobacco. Vaginitis in females and impotence in males from excessive sexual indulgence. MIND- Arnica is used after severe mental stress or shock. Mental or emotional shocks. Never well since a trauma, fright or grief. History of severe physical trauma with chronic mental or emotional effects. Accident, trauma victims. Nervous, can't bear pain, whole body oversensitive.|
Arnica Montana Medicinal Uses
- Bad effects of mechanical injuries even of remote origin.
- Bruised pain, soreness, haemorrhage, extravasation escape into tissues) of blood, epistaxis (nose-bleed) after a fall or blow from a blunt weapon.
- Concussion with stupor, meningitis, shock after head-injury.
- Black eye, retinal haemorrhage from a blow to the eye; or severe cough.
- Apoplexy (stroke): Helps in the absorption of blood.
- Paralysis: Left-sided with full and strong pulse; sighing, muttering and stertorous breathing; with unconscious-ness.
- Gout of great toe: With great fear of being touched or struck by a person coming near him.
- Prevents post-delivery haemorrhage and other complica-tions , if given just after delivery.
- Hypertrophy (enlargement) of heart from heart strain and over-work
- Retention of urine from injuries or constant dribbling of urine after labour.
Arnica Montana is especially adapted to:
(a) sanguine, plethoric (full-blooded) persons of very red face and lively expression; (b) nervous persons who cannot bear pain; (c) persons who remain long impressed by even slightest mechanical injuries; (d) apathetic persons who say, "There is nothing matter with him," even when they are seriously: send the doctor away and want to be left alone. (e) patients who worry and exaggerate trivial symptoms (f) patients who are sullen, morose, do not speak a word or do not want to be talked to; (g) patients who are fearful but fear remains at night after an accident; (h) horror of instant death with cardiac distress at night
Arnica Montana Side effects/ Caution
- Stop use and ask a doctor if symptoms persist for more than 3 days or worsen.
- If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
- Arnica should not be used externally where there is broken skin. For torn and lacerated wounds, calendula can be used locally .
- Keep out of reach of children.